Plain Writing Clinic
in accordance with PL 111-274 (Plain Writing Act of 2010)
If you are serious about simplifying your writing, saving time in doing it, and seeing results quickly, then this two-day intensive course is for you. It supports your agency’s compliance with the Plain Writing Act of 2010. You’re taught “plain writing” — writing that is clear, concise, well-organized, and follows other best practices appropriate to the subject and intended audience. You’ll become skilled in writing clearly and briefly while understanding your reader’s needs. By writing documents in plain English, you’ll save valuable time not having to clarify your meaning to your reader or your boss. Practical exercise are conducted throughout the course. You’ll review, critique, and re-write sample government documents, and prepare and present original documents.
Benefits to You:
Having this “Plain Writing” skill will increase your promotability because being known as a good writer translates into your being able to think clearly, analyze problems, make decisions and persuade others – all highly sought after skills.
Benefits to Your Organization:
Increased agency productivity, mission effectiveness, and image; improved public understanding and satisfaction; and more effective, professional, and promotable employees. Who should attend? Federal employees, managers, and supervisors wanting to write well in Plain Language.
Basic business writing or Write 2 the Point! recommended
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Produce quality documents faster and with greater ease
- Spend less time drafting, reviewing, and editing
- Make documents easier for readers to understand
- Save paper and storage space (hardcopy and electronic – think green)
- Increase your efficiency, productivity, and self-confidence
- Develop clear and complete purpose statements
- Formulate and mindmap purpose, points, and details
- Integrate mindmaps into sound document outlines
- Create first drafts with ease by overcoming writer’s block
- Prepare well-crafted paragraphs with main points, supporting material, and transitions
- Form and organize clear and concise sentences
- Use plain English and edit out “Bureaucratese”
- Review and edit your work and the work of others
- Present documents clearly and concisely in final form
- Prepare “on-target” emails based on do’s and don’ts
Tuition: $ 389 (special group rates available)
Note: This is a performance-based workshop. Size is limited due to extensive one-to-one attention to students by the instructor.